8.13.2010

HOW TO BUDGET THE INDEPENDENT WAY!

Hello everyone! ;) I am a day delayed for this post and I am deeply sorry for that especially to Mara who's been on time for her every other day posts. Sorry doll :(

Anyway,

back to my purpose post now shall we?

In Mara's Money Matters post, she shared to us her plans on budgeting and how to make it happen. Most of the people, or at least the ones that I personally know and that is including myself, we are all impulsive buyers! We buy what we want, what we need to have or else we feel like we're going to "die" if we don't spend our hard earned money and get our hands on our materialistic cravings.

I moved out over a year ago and up to this day I can't tell you that I've become money wise because I am not, though I am trying really hard to control my nonsensical spending which includes:

  • Cosmetics - *sigh* I don't have a lot to be completely transparent here but there are some things that I bought that I don't actually need just bought for the heck of it.
  • Purses and shoes - I don't buy high-end ones not unless they're half the price off but if I see a purse or a bag or a pair of nice shoes (don't care which store I saw it from) and it's within my "budget" I'll buy it.
  • FOOD - that's to blame too on my weight problem, 60% of my pay stub are spent on groceries/food alone. Even before moving out, I don't pay or give my 'rents money for rent or for bills (except for my own visa and phone bill) or for our weekly groceries and yet I was always broke for spending too much on a restaurant.
My bad habits need to change! And how am I suppose to do that?Any plans?

Yes.

Being independent had taught me a lot of things and my old ways on spending money can't continue on and for the past two weeks since I've started my diet, I've came into several conclusions on how to help me accomplish my goal to lose weight and be money wise.

PLAN AHEAD

Image credits to google images
  • Write down what you'll be needing for a week. - Before you hit the grocery store, make sure you've written down all the things that you need to buy, not the ones that you want to buy.
  • Get your recipes ready! By doing so, you save money and you save yourself from throwing away veggies and/or fruits that had turn moldy. Buy only the exact amount that you know you'll be using for a certain food recipe. Some people think that buying in bulk will save them more, WRONG! From my personal experience, I buy in bulk all the time assuring myself that I will use all of it, unfortunately they turned brown and moldy and they ended up in the waste bin. Why?because we get busy and get distracted everyday, thence, forgetting the food/produce we had already bought that we kept in the fridge. Oh and by the way, before you leave your house to go do your grocery shopping, make sure you've eaten already, we all know what happens when we go shopping on an empty stomach right?And don't forget to bring your enviro bags when shopping. ;)
AVOID EATING JUNKS!


Image credits to google images

Do you guys know where my first job is?At McDonald's!!! And that's where I started gaining weight! Yes. lack of self control and discipline.

If we want to lose weight, AVOID eating fast food! I know they look yummy and tempting and I'm not gonna lie, looking at the picture that I posted makes my tummy growl! But we SHOULD NOT DEFEAT OUR PURPOSE!! We are on a mission to lose weight and be healthy! Why is too much fast food bad for everyone? Here's list of nutritional value from the McDonald's Canada menu as of August 13, 2010 [if you want to see the list, here's the pdf form for McDonald's Nutrition Facts].

Let's take a look at the cheeseburger meal for instance and let's count the calories that yummy meal has.

800 CALORIES already in one meal! Wow! Just wow! What about the calories you've consumed for breakfast? the in between nibble before lunch or your midday snack and your dinner? If you're not that physically active meaning not burning those fats and calories you're probably consuming around 2,500-3,000 calories a day or more than that depending on the food you chose to eat on a certain day. Sometimes one meal alone can have as much as 1,500 calories already. I feel sick at the thought of how I used to pig out before and not knowing these calories, the trans fat, too much sodium and sugar and how fast food can be bad for you if you eat out as a hobby.

We really should avoid eating fast food and let's be money wise.

The Alternative?
If you let's say can spend $20 on meal on a fast food, just go to the grocery store buy a pack of wrapped chicken breast (a pack of 3 will approx. cost you around $9), go to the produce section grab a bag of cut greens or mixed (about $2-4/bag) and if you don't have any dressings at home grab a low-calorie bottle (which is let's say around $4) in total you'll only be paying $18- $19 (tax included).

Why is it good and wise for you?
A pack of chicken breast (2-4 cuts in a pack) for only around $9-$10 will give you leftovers for the next day. 100g of chicken breast fillet is only about 116 calories, 3 cups (85g) of greens or mixed are about 15 calories and a no trans fat caesar dressing per 1 tbsp is 70 calories. Calculate all that and you'll only be consuming a total of 201 calories for lunch comparing to the greasy 800 calories cheeseburger meal. For $20 you're already being money wise and eating healthy.

EXERCISE!

Images credit to google images

And it doesn't have to expensive! I know, especially at the rate of our economy these days, spending $100/month to use the gym is expensive to most already so instead of cutting back on other expenses, they are instead quitting the gym. How can exercise be NOT expensive? LEARN how to walk! Yes. We all have busy lives but 15 minutes (and increasing the time frame eventually) of walking everyday is helping you burn some fats and calories already!

Yay! I hope You guys learned something from this post of mine and this is what I'm doing right now, I plan ahead, I avoid eating junk foods and I exercise.

Is there any more tips from you guys and girls out there that we can share to others and help us and them reach our goals?

See you guys around,
Em

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Search This Blog

OUR OWN SEPARATE BLOGS

Follow this blog with bloglovin

CLICK ME
Follow TEAM EmMarah

Followers

TWEET US!

TALK TO US!

Powered by Blogger.