8.12.2010

Money Matters


Image credits to Google Images

Yes, yes! A post that isn't about weight loss.

And yes, it's Mara speaking typing.

At this day and age, everything seems to be so expensive. Let's throw a little economics here. The principle of scarcity? Yeah. We have limited resources to answer for our unlimited wants. Another useful principle? The idea of quantity vs quality. There are so many factors to consider for every little thing that we buy that it's hard to decide on where our meager earnings would go.

What am I saying? I don't know half of it, I only have a taste of things. I'm still a student, very much dependent, so I don't have as big a problem as others, I know. Still, I don't get thousands of pesos for allowance every day (unlike some lucky people :p), and with the things I'm interested in or aiming to work at, I have to be smart about this ('coz not all great things come cheap!).

Today I'd like to talk about budgeting.

What can I say? I'm pretty OC. Though I hate numbers, when it comes to planning and budgeting I get absolutely fixated. But come on, let's be honest, we don't all stick to that right?

At the moment, my main target is to save 3,400php by the end of September and save 4,200php from October to the second week of December.

Why?

Because I LOVE LOVE LOVE giving pressies on Christmas. So? I have to start early because:
  • the reality is that I'm just a student
  • I don't get a big allowance
  • out of that allowance has to be a cut for commuting, photocopying, beauty stuff, emergency expenses, etc.
Is it attainable? Yes, I believe so. Right now, I have 1,500php out of the 3,400php goal for September. I would actually reach 3,500 from now 'til September so by the end of September, I should be at 5k. So I'd only need to save 'til the first week of November and I'd be set for Christmas :) Now what do we pick up from this?
  1. I don't expect that the money I get (allowance) would all go to savings. I split it and I save 500php weekly.
  2. I don't go on super save mode. As much as I'd want to, the more I deprive myself, the bigger the tendency for me to want to spend on random things is.
  3. I'm keeping it real. If I wanna buy something, I need to make sure it's good quality. I'd rather go once for a product that works than try a lot of inexpensive things and have terrible results. I'm all for saving money, don't get me wrong, but usually, you get what you pay for.
  4. Set a time frame. It helps. It'll keep you on track and pressure you.
  5. Give yourself some leeway in case you have to spend on an emergency.
  6. Set priorities. Accept that you can't have it all so know what you have to give up.
Right now I have two things in mind the Christmas presents and a cam I really wanna buy. The cam would have to wait but if I ever have a little extra from the week, no matter how small, I'll save it for that.

Things I should probably do while I should stay within budget:
  • kill lemmings (SUPER IMPORTANT)
  • work with what I've got
  • determine if I really need something
  • pack my own lunch instead of just buying overpriced meals elsewhere
  • know my priorities and work towards them
Well, those are my thoughts, what about yours?

Any tips to save?

What are you saving for?

Do you plan early for ChristmasHannukaKwanza?

Any comments would surely be greatly appreciated :)

'Til the next stop,
Mara

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Search This Blog

OUR OWN SEPARATE BLOGS

Follow this blog with bloglovin

CLICK ME
Follow TEAM EmMarah

Followers

TWEET US!

TALK TO US!

Powered by Blogger.